NOTE

Sunday, April 17, 2016

THE UNBOXING - APRIL 2016

Four trade paperbacks this month, though one was delayed from March, as noted last time. From Marvel, we have a pair of Epic Collections: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RETURN OF THE SINISTER SIX and IRON MAN: DUEL OF IRON. The former fits snugly between the AMAZING SPIDER-MAN EPIC COLLECTION: COSMIC ADVENTURES and AMAZING SPIDER-MAN EPIC COLLECTION: ROUND ROBIN books (I'm really happy with the amount of love David Michelinie's long Spider-run is receiving, as it's the Spider-Man I grew up with), while the latter follows directly from the very first Epic Collection, 2013's IRON MAN: THE ENEMY WITHIN (and for the record, it will only take one more IRON MAN Epic to bridge the gap between this volume and the previously released STARK WARS).


DC brings BATMAN ADVENTURES volume 4, closing out the original 36-issue run based on BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES. Hopefully these four books have sold well enough to warrant a couple follow-ups for the 25-issue BATMAN AND ROBIN ADVENTURES and perhaps even the subsequent 60-issue BATMAN: GOTHAM ADVENTURES -- though as of now I don't believe there's any word on whether that might happen.


And lastly, from IDW, it's the latest installment in the DANGER GIRL saga, DANGER GIRL: RENEGADE. I looked at every DG series to date a couple summers ago, and I plan to follow up with this volume in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. I too appreciate that the late 80s/early 90s Spider-Man stuff isn't getting ignored by the Epic Collections, but now I'd really like to see some of the post-Lee, pre-Stern stuff collected, just because it so rarely is (outside of the original Clone Saga).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'm happy they've done so many Spidey Epics and, as noted, I'm very glad they've devoted three of them to the Michelinie era, but I'd love to see some of the Gerry Conway and Len Wein runs from the seventies. (I'm less enamored with Marv Wolfman's or Denny O'Neil's runs, though the former, at least, apparently has its fans.)

      I have the first two AMAZING SPIDER-MAN OMNIBUS volumes and I'll pick up vol. 3 as well, which I think will complete the Lee/Romita run, whenever it comes out. And I have the Stern Omnibus as well. After those, I'm perfectly fine with trades for the rest of AMAZING (though I might consider an Omnibus of Gerry Conway's run too, if they could fit all 40 issues into one book), so hopefully we'll see them eventually.

      Delete