NOTE

Sunday, January 17, 2016

THE UNBOXING - JANUARY 2015

And so it begins... anew.

I had thought I might have more coming this month based on pre-orders, but it looks like some stuff was delayed, so we wind up with one single volume to begin 2016: The UNCANNY X-MEN EPIC COLLECTION: THE GIFT, featuring a chunk of issues from Chris Claremont and John Romita, Jr. Though for me, the main draw here is Dave Cockrum's NIGHTCRAWLER mini-series, which I don't believe has ever been collected anywhere until now. I'm not sure if it's any good, but I'm always happy for a "new to me" Cockrum Nightcrawler story.

Plus, in a much-appreciated touch, this book lines up perfectly with 2013's X-MEN: GHOSTS collection, which began with UNCANNY X-MEN 199 (THE GIFT ends with UNCANNY #198). And of course GHOSTS butts right up against MUTANT MASSACRE, so anybody looking to read UNCANNY X-MEN issues 189 - 214 -- plus associated annuals, mini-series, and the like -- all in one fell swoop can do so with these three books. Good work, Marvel!


Shameless plug, since this is a shorter Unboxing than usual: Remember, for all your X-Men collected edition needs, check out my listing of what's been collected so far and what's still needed to fill all the blanks between UNCANNY #94 through 350 (and beyond) on the X-Men Collections page. And also keep in mind that I'm currently reviewing all my X-Men hardcovers at a rate of one per month or so, and those can be found partway down the Collected Editions page. Both pages are, of course, always accessible from the top of the "Table of Contents" at right.

5 comments:

  1. Ah, memories. The Magus cover that serves as the back cover served also as the upper half of the back cover for quite a number of issues during my first year of reading, the bottom half being the scissorsable subscription slip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting choice. It's definitely a very dynamic image, and one of my favorite covers from JR Jr.'s run -- but it's also very specific in what it depicts. You'd be totally lost if you saw the picture in isolation with no knowledge of Magus.

      (Though maybe that was the publisher's intention -- hook 'em with something they'll be curious to figure out!)

      I always liked over here, for at least couple decades, Marvel would have original artwork drawn specifically for those subscription ads. My favorite was the weird one featuring Excalibur enjoying a picnic on the beach by Gary Frank. (Yes, Meggan in a bikini certainly had something to do with my enjoyment of that picture.)

      Delete
    2. Though now that I've found a pic and linked to it, I see that apparently that artwork came from a MARVEL SWIMSUIT SPECIAL.

      They did do original art for these things, though... earlier in the eighties and seventies, I guess.

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure if it's any good, but I'm always happy for a "new to me" Cockrum Nightcrawler story.

    It's not, really, though it's not a bad Nightcrawler/Cockrum story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I seem to recall that was the consensus when you reviewed it a few years ago. I'll give it a read at some point, though. It just looks so out of place in that era of X-Men -- everything was taking a turn for darker with "Mutant Massacre" just around the corner, but first here's this colorful throwback sword-and-sorcery Nightcrawler adventure! It's so tonally off from the rest of the contents of this book.

      Delete